Day 42 of 100 Happy Days:
Another recipe of a yummy soup while waiting at the airport! Enjoy!
Garlic: 3-4 cloves, finely chopped
Ginger: about 1 tbs chopped or grated
Red Thai curry paste: 2-3 tbs (depends on your taste)
Coconut milk: 2 cans
Chicken breast: 1, boneless
Shrimp: 7-8 large, peeled, tail on
Rice vermicelli noodles: 6-8 oz
Coriander: few, chopped
Basil leaves: 3/4 leaves
Chicken/beef/vegetable broth: 0.5 to 1 packet (32 oz)
Fish sauce: 2 tbs
Salt: to taste
Lemon juice: 2-3 tbs
Oil: 2-3 tbs
1. Cut the chicken in large cubes and bring chicken, water, and salt to a boil in a pot. When the chicken will be fully cooked, take out the chicken cubes and keep the water to use it as broth if you don’t have the chicken/beef broth/stock.
2. Slice the cooked chicken cubes into small pieces.
3. Separately boil the shrimps with salt, skin off and tail on for 3-5 minutes. Alternatively, you can boil the shrimp with the skin on and remove the skin after the shrimps are cooked. This will prevent the shrimps from curling up and the shrimps won’t become small.
4. Over medium heat add oil in a large pot.
5. Add chopped garlic, grated ginger and red curry paste and sauté for few minutes.
6. Add cooked chicken and shrimps and gently mix for few minutes.
7. Add coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce and bring to boil.
8. When the oil will start to separate from the mixture, add basil leaves
9. Adjust the spice, the thickness and color of the soup (add some more red curry paste to make it more spicy or coconut milk/broth/small amount of brown sugar to make the soup milder, according to your taste).
10 (a). Add the rice vermicelli noodles to the boiling soup. The rice noodle doesn’t need to be cooked like pasta. They just need to re-hydrate in hot soup. Add lemon juice and some cilantro for garnish and turn off the heat.
10 (b). Alternatively, put some dried rice noodle in the serving bowl and pour the boiling soup over it. Then add lemon juice and garnish with cilantro.
10 (c). Another way is to skip adding the rice vermicelli noodles and enjoy the soup!